Who Is Connecticut Voices for Children?
Connecticut Voices for Children is a research-based public education and advocacy organization that works statewide to promote the well-being of Connecticut's children, youth and families.
CT Voices was founded in 1995 by four women who each had many years of experience working on behalf of children -- Shelley Geballe, Janice Gruendel, Judy Solomon and Nancy Lustman -- to enable Connecticut residents to be more effective voices for our children. CT Voices has built a highly talented staff with education and experience in education, law, health, business, government and the non-profit sector. This multi-disciplinary approach allows us to offer new insights on recurring problems. Policymakers, political leaders, the media, other advocacy groups and others now regularly turn to CT Voices for public policy and budget analysis, and new ideas.
Connecticut can and should be the best state in the nation to raise children. All of Connecticut's children should grow up healthy and safe, have an opportunity for successful learning experiences from birth through adulthood, live free from the devastating effects of poverty, prosper from the loving guidance of caring adults, and have the opportunity to give something back to their communities. With the intellectual and economic capacity of Connecticut, we can make this vision a reality.
The mission of Connecticut Voices for Children is to promote the well-being of all of Connecticut’s young people and their families by advocating for strategic public investments and wise public policies. Connecticut Voices for Children advances its mission through high quality research and analysis, strategic communications, community education, and development of the next generation of advocates.
- Reduce child poverty through innovative income and asset building strategies
- Assure that all Connecticut's students have the academic and technology skills to thrive in the world economy of the 21st century
- Foster statewide investments in our children and the hard-working families who raise them
- Encourage prudent up-front investments to reduce the health and safety risks facing our children, while meeting the multiple needs of our state's most vulnerable youngsters
- Continue to build a statewide chorus of informed voices, speaking up for all of Connecticut's children.
- Nurture the next generation of advocates, by helping young leaders build their research and advocacy skills and find their own voice.
These goals can be achieved when many voices come together on behalf of Connecticut's young people.